Monday, April 13, 2009

Daylight in Africa

There are days I wish I was more eloquent about my time and my surroundings in Uganda. I have always had a love-hate with Ugandan mornings. Once you hear the first rooster crow and the muezzin call the faithful to prayer, its over. You might was well just get up and do your laundry. But since I can't put it any better than that, here's an exerpt from a fantastic book I am reading, The Shadow of the Sun:

"The sight of the sun acts like a starter's pistol: the town instantly springs into motion. It's as if all night long everyone was crouching on his starter blocks and now, at the signal, at that shot of sunlight, they all take off full speed ahead. No intermediate stages, no preparations. All at once, the streets are full of people, the shops are open, the fires and kitchens are smoking."

No comments: