Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Christmas vacation, installment 4







When we were with my Mom and the fam we took Christopher to see the sights of the town and its surrounding areas. They are as follows:

1. My cousin Matthew's new house! It was a beautiful cottage on the lake -- I am a bit jealous! :)

2. The Peterborough lift locks--kind of like a small Panama Canal lock. Interesting, even though they were closed up due to the cold weather. It was nice though, as the canal leading up to the locks had frozen over and kids were playing hockey on the ice.

3. The Neil Young Museum: Awesome, even though it was closed.

4. The Lindsay river -- beautiful when its covered in snow and ice!!
5. Hockey, hockey and more hockey.

One of the best things we did was attend my Grandma's New Year's Day party. I love Grandma's parties because all of her sisters and brothers stop by whom I love to see and love to watch them interact. They are all so individual and unique, and by the the end of the party, they start to sing. My Great Aunt even played the organ this time. Christopher thought that was fantastic! There's always too much food and lots of laughs. Thanks Grandma!

Cody and Julian really wanted to take Christopher and I out ice skating. We went first to the indoor rink. Now, I am no pro skater. I hug to the sides of the rink like a kid, I would even push a chair in front of me as I skate if it wasn't silly for a 26 year old to do so. Finally when I got the courage to get away from the side, sure enough I fell. No injuries to report, we all had a good laugh. My brothers then took us to an outdoor rink they had made not far from the house. Christopher put on about 80 layers of clothing in order to face the elements and ended up sweating like crazy. It as a lot of fun though, I even made a goal, albeit a slow one into the hockey net. Thank goodness for our hot coffee though, as my feet were frozen after the skate.

After all this fun, food, and skating the time came to return to Uganda. It was sad to leave my family again but I am so grateful we were able to visit! Christopher had a great time too, even when Grandma asked him to play some Tony Bennet on the guitar! I can't wait to visit again, especially when it's warmer!

No comments: