Friday, September 14, 2007











On Saturday, Sept 8, I attended the Uganda v. Niger football game in Namboole Stadium, Kampala. The Ugandan Cranes are vying for a spor in the African Cup in Ghana 2008. I travelled on Saturday morning, only to arrive in Kampala amongst all the game day chaos! There were taxis everywhere with people hanging out the windows yelling, holding flags, trumpets, branches and leaves! I still don't understand the leaves part. We arrived at the staduim and I bought some corny Uganda flare, only to meet up with my friends and discover I looked normal. Some of the other muzungus were painted head to toe in the colors of Uganda (red, black and yellow). The game started off well, with Uganda scoring its first goal in the first minute. The stadium went nuts. I have never been to a soccer game before, so it was a fun experience for me. The noise of all the people blowing their trumpets created this buzzing noise through the whole game, sounded like swarming bees. The crowd was cheering, Oh yee, oh yee, Uganda Cranes oh yee! We joined in, must have looked pretty silly. I heard from my friends in Busia when I returned that they put us on tv. We were that much of a spectacle, ha! In the end, the Cranes won, 3-0. and have qualified again for Ghana. Since soccer depends on the points you have, not the process of elimination, Uganda must beat Zambia in the points ranking to go, so cross your fingers! Uganda Cranes oh yee!

No comments: