Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Get Involved with my Youth Centre!

For those of you wanting to help out with my youth centre, I am going to create a list of things that we need or could use from the States on this blog. If you want to contribute, please email me at olivia.burchett@gmail.com and I will give you the address and directions. Of course, if you choose to send anything or help out in anyway, we would be more than grateful! Instructional and learning supplies are very hard to come by here so anything will be appreciated. I am going to break the list down in sections that match the centres we are creating within the room.

ART:
Art therapy instructional books
Sharpies
Ribbon
Glitter
Glue
Colored paper
Pipe Cleaners
Scissors
Felt paper
Brushes
Paint (Watercolor or Acrylic)
Stencils
Crayons
Sidewalk chalk
Anything else you can think of! :)

Math:
Number/counting aids
Ideas to help in basic arithmetic
Rulers
Pencils
Index cards

Science:
National Geographic books/magazines (especially focusing on East Africa)
Environmental education information
Ideas on how to integrate environmental ed into science classes
Pictures of the body (skeletal system/muscular/respiratory system)
All you nurse friends of mine could probably give me ideas, right?

Literacy:
Books!!
Reading aides
Ideas on how to increase student literacy and make it fun!!

As we move along in the centre's renovation and development, I will be posting the proposals Natalie and I have written as well as pictures of the progress. We want you all to be involved, so please if there is anything (especially information or ideas) you could send our way -- you'd create 2 happy Peace Corps volunteers! Thank you for your love and support!!!

No comments: