Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Long Time

So it's been a long time since my last post, and I apologize. Things here have been busy. The main issue has been the Kenyan crisis. We are all watching and reading the news fervently as things seem to worsen daily. For about a month after the elections on December 27, my town had a steady influx of refugees. I was working at the camp helping to distribute food, carry sacks of charcoal and register new arrivals. It was exhausting but really worth it in the end. Everyone was so humble and I even learned some new Swahili words! Also in the last month or so, I have been working hard to develop a youth center and girls empowerment camp proposal. Fingers crossed this should be completed in the next few weeks. I begin renovations on the center in February, I will begin posting more and putting up pictures of the progress. If anyone out there knows of a good way or organization that could donate books or art supplies, please let me know! Thanks so much! I am also going to try to implement art therapy for some of the kids that are most affected by the issues here - any help or feedback on this subject would be so helpful. Thanks everyone for all the letters and emails and packages. Christopher and I are going to camp out in a rain forest this weekend - I am stoked! I will put up pictures when I can, I promise! Great week and merry weekend to you all!

No comments: